Sunday, March 11, 2012

There is no free in freedom

Ok so the word “free” is in the word “freedom” but it has been said “Freedom is not Free.”  That statement is actually engraved into the wall at Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C.  Here in Korea, March 1st is Independence Movement Day.  I will try to give a short history of March 1st.


In the early 1900’s Japan oppressed Korea.  There was a Korean girl by the name of Yu Gwan Sun who wanted Korea to have freedom from Japan.  Because of her deep faith in God she had courage to act boldly.  In 1919, at the age of around 17 or 18 she started planning a peaceful demonstration March 1st in her town and the surrounding area.  She planned to walk from the mountain through the city with a Korean flag, during that time it was not allowed to have a Korean flag.  What started as one girl proclaiming “Long live Korean Independence!” grew to over 2000 people alongside her.   During the demonstration her parents were killed by the Japanese and she was arrested.  She was taking to Seodaemun prison where she endured harsh beatings and torture.  She reportedly died during torture and her last words were “Japan shall fall... my finger nails may fall off, my nose and ears cut off, my hands and legs broken.  I can bear the pain.  But the pain of losing my country, I cannot bear.  That I only have one life to give for my country, it is my only sadness!"  She was only 19!  What happened that day started a stirring in Koreans hearts to fight for their freedom,  which did come for them.

Simon and I visited Seodaemun Prison to participate in the holiday celebration.   As we came into the prison there were a group of children and adults holding Korean flags chanting “Long live Korean Independence!”  I am pretty sure at that moment my eyes filled with tears.  I realized why I get so emotional when it comes to our military in America.  It moves me knowing what the people did before me so that I can have my freedom.  Being there in the prison seeing what people endured before me made me appreciate the history and freedom in Korea that much more.  It was such an amazing day.
Below are the pictures that we took while we were there.


The Seodaemun Prison Museum

prison shackle
This is Yu Gwan Sun mug shot photo the day she was arrested.
Simon looking at the walls covered with pictures.
This room was a Memorial for all the prisoners that had been imprisoned and tortured here in the prison.  They prison mugshots of everyone.  It was so amazing to be in that room.
The theme through out the prison is that the prisoners refused to give up while in being imprisoned.
This was the actual prison were we walked through and saw the actual cells where they were imprisoned.
This is the prisoners playground.  The Japanese could keep a watchful eye on the prisoners as they were able to exercise.
Here is Simon showing about how wide the area was.
Simon stood in the area where the soldiers stood to keep a eye on all the prisoners. 
This was a bullet whole from the Korean War.  The side of some of the prisons were covered in bullet holes.
Another view of the prison.
Another view of the prison.
This is were they kept prisoners with leprosy. 
There were holes in the cells where they could use the restroom.  These holes on the outside are where the excrement came out.
This is one of the watch towers around the outside of the prison.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4


I hope you all enjoyed a little bit of Korean history.  See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment