Sunday, March 18, 2012

my green day...

Yesterday was pretty eventful!  We had our first American Culture Day.  Let me preface that by saying we celebrated an Irish holiday the way most Americans children celebrate it.
I am pretty sure I went a little over board with the green but I wanted the kids to have fun.  I made Spinach Carrot Banana Coconut Cupcakes and Spinach Oatmeal Cookies.  I had the most difficult time finding food coloring so I decided Spinach would have to do the job!  So I made these recipes up and they turned out great I think.





In the cupcakes I randomly put a slice of carrot in 2 cupcakes that were like golden coins.  Who ever had the golden coin in their cupcake received a prize.
The Spinach oatmeal cookies looked like no bake cookies but they were pretty moist on top and kind of cakey.
Simon told the kids before they ate the cookies that they had spinach in them so most the kids refused to eat them.  Lesson learned… Don’t tell Simon what’s in the cookies!
Here is a tour of the decorations.  We don’t hang much on the walls because its cement and wall paper over it.


















Like I said I went a little crazy with the decorations… but it was so much fun.
We only had so many kids in each class and as you can see we had fun.
Simon shared about the original history of St Patrick’s day which the kids really seem to enjoy learning about. 



















We had a couple of different activities.  We taught the older kids how to make Irish knots they really enjoyed it.

We had a great time with all of our kids.  We are trying to have a culture day once a month and invite all the kids into our home.  We have about 12 kids in our lil school and that keeps us busy.  We hope your St. Patrick’s Day was as fun filled as ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment